Vex brain program

My code from vex coding studio is gone, but the program is still on the brain. So I was wondering if there was any way to upload the program from the brain into the VEX coding studio?

Welcome to the forums @Bonkers_0! I don’t think that you can upload from the brain to your computer (I may be wrong), but you should probably switch to VEXcode, which basically does the same thing as VCS, but it is a bit newer.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, there is is no way to pull compiled code off the brain and convert it back to the original C code (with comments etc…)

Losing code/projects is a common issue for new software developers. A good skill to develop is to backup your code to external storage (either device or cloud based) at end of every session and make sure the it has unique name so it reflects version. This is a rudimentary way of doing version control. Say you make a mistake in rewriting a function, you can turn back to previous sessions. More sophisticated version control systems exist that are pretty powerful allowing multiple people to work on different parts of the project at the same time.

Sorry you lost your work - happens to the best more frequently than you think.

Good luck with your season!

[edit to add a plug for documentation!

If you do lose the code, documentation really helps recreate your program quickly, especially for projects with lots of functions. Detail what each function accomplishes, include the inputs and outputs needed.

]

8 Likes

Programmers have been experiencing this dreaded issue for decades.

@jpearman Any consideration in future releases to push the text up to the brain along with the compiled code?

Actually that was part of an original design idea, and it’s implemented on the brain/vexos side and could probably be fairly easily (whatever that really means) on the VEXcode side.

A program on the brain can have several files with the same base name and different extensions, we use, for example, “slot_1.bin” for the actual executable code and “slot_1.ini” for the program metadata (the actual program name, details on which sensors are used etc.) we had planned to also send a “slot_1.prj” file that was a zipped copy of the program source code, it just never got implemented in VCS and also dropped as low priority when we created the original VEXcode text. Beyond just sending the project to the brain, there would need to be a way of recovering it, again really a VEXcode and UI issue as vexos does support reading back files.

For Python programming it’s potentially even simpler as the program on the brain is the Python source code.

6 Likes