VEX U PYRO 2020 Reveal - Tower Takeover

Introducing VEX U Team PYRO’s robots for the 2019-2020 game, Tower Takeover

Note, I am no longer a member of PYRO Robotics, I was asked by the team to post this on the forum.

43 Likes

PYRO OP

Woah, that claw!!! These have got to be some of the most impressive VEXU robots that I have ever seen!

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing! :grin:

4 Likes

I love the DR4B robot the best. I wanted to build that the whole year but my team decided it wouldn’t effective enough…we were wrong. This looks wonderful!! Great work!

4 Likes

Well, to be fair, that would be very tough with only 8 motors so it’s less practical for VRC

3 Likes

Awesome robots ! I uploaded 2019 VEX worlds matches of PYRO if your group is interested. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGtuEMNKhTNPXMqJfzcd_2zdtgXXhpCnX

4 Likes

17 stack new post-worlds meta?

2 Likes

Imagine having the 15 inch bit as a tall claw bot instead of a tray bot.
20+ stack meta

I think the limiting factor is the height of the big lift, not the capacity of the small robot.

4 Likes

The only problem with the DR4B robot - and we experienced this - is that there just were not enough motors at VRC for an effective design. That intake on the pyro robot was exquisite. We had envisioned something like that but simply didn’t have enough motors (plus, they had to 3D print something for a small, compact intake). I think, if the motor count was 10 or 12 this year, we would have seem a wider variety of designs. I love, love, love that pyro robot. That’s what our robot dreamed of being when it grew up!

4 Likes

That makes sense. Earlier in the season, I spent quite a bit of time CADing concepts similar to this but I could never really find a way to make it reasonable with the motor limit. The only solution I saw to make a super efficient lift and intake was to have a 2 motor drive, but that wasn’t really an option for us.

3 Likes

17 stack OP!!!
20char

We experimented with a db4/drive differential for a while so 4m drive/lift, 1m tilt, 2m intake, and even an extra motor for an H drive, a 5m booster wheel drive, or a 5m lift. I think motor sharing is the only way to achieve close to what this robot did with the 8m limit in hs, but there are of course a variety of setbacks with a differential. Considering the setbacks, I’d agree that this design was not competitively viable with 8 motors, but its amazing to still see it built for U.

5 Likes

You could do 4 motor drive, 2 motor lift, 1 motor claw, and 1 motor rollers successfully, with the rollers retracting if you lift above a certain height. The rollers wouldn’t be as smooth as shown in the video, but it would certainly be doable at the vrc level. The major issues in my opinion was the difficulty of making a fully functional tube claw with a single motor, the design being relatively complex, and the simple fact that you could get equal or better results for less work with a tray robot. Because of the increased degree of difficulty for a small reward, I think we would’ve seen many trays with lifts and 4 motor drives-we were starting to see these get more popular as the season progressed.

3 Likes

18 Likes