VEX VS Code Extension code errors after C/C++ extension updating post v1.32.2

Has anyone else been getting errors in their VEX code when using the VEX VS Code Extension after updating the C/C++ extension to a version newer than v1.32.2?

There are VEX projects that I wrote months ago that have had no compiler issues which now show warnings and errors when there previously weren’t any when updating the C/C++ extension to 1.33.8 or 1.34.4.

If I downgrade the C/C++ extension version back down to v1.32.2, the errors go away.

What sort of errors ? Intellisense (red squiggles) ? Build errors ? Perhaps use the feedback tool with the project open and send feedback.

Intellisense errors (red squiggles) and build errors when previously it would compile fine. I’m make sure to send feedback using the feedback tool.

The C/C++ extension is provided by microsoft, they often make changes that can affect how intellisense reacts, fact of life, sometimes it just doesn’t find the correct headers. However, I downloaded and tried building your project with latest VSCode and C/C++ extension (1.34.4), the project builds with no errors. What build errors did you get ?

Just checked again. You are correct that the project does actually build but there are numerous errors all throughout the code where there weren’t previously — identifiers being undefined, incomplete types, class or namespace not being found etc.

This does seem to be an issue with Intellisense for people using newer versions of the C/C++ extension.

Downgrading back to 1.32.2 does seem to fix the issue but what would you suggest as a workaround in the meantime for other users who might not want to? I am planning to submit a bug report on Microsoft’s GitHub for the C/C++ extension.

If it matters, here is my current setup for the VS Code project.

  • C/C++ extension version 1.34.4
  • Visual Studios Build Tools 2022 development environment
  • C Standard: gnu17
  • CPP Standard: gnu++20