VEXcode V5 Text Preview

and will when will 1.0 run on Chromebook?

Will version 1.0 be available before the end of August?

1 Like

That’s the plan.

6 Likes

When running on OS X 10.5 beta 4 the following message appears for install.

“VEXcode.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

Just providing the info, in case you have not see it already. I’m looking forward to the 1.0 release and wanted to say thank you for providing these previews. This product is on the right track and will create the basis for a great deal of fun and learning.

Thanks

Ron

Will vexcode text be available for iPads as well?

They said in the description, no tablets, just computers. They will probably create a more beginner software like VCS that can run on tablets.

Not a mac user, but there is probably a way to disable apples malware check. Try that.

Good news, I was able to install using beta 5 of OS X 10.15. Just thought I would pass that along. Thanks

2 Likes

Text size & text colors need to be configurable. I have students with visual acuity issues who will be unable to use the editor.

6 Likes

I’d just like to say thank you for creating a way better text code editor than VCS. It works way more reliably and has way less bugs than VCS, even though it’s still just a preview.

4 Likes

@dwb45133

To control the text size you can press ctrl( or cmd) + Down Arrow to increase the text size in the editor.

As for colors, that could be a possible future feature. Monaco does have a built in “High contrast” mode that may help some. To trigger high contrast press F1 to get the command pallet and then search for “high contrast” and toggle that option. I hope that will work for you for now.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that a .gitignore file is generated when you create a project. Will the release version have full Git integration, including branch management?

Will printing be enabled or can we add in extentions, like you can with VS Code?

2 Likes

what is this though?

Git is for version control and file save, so you commit and push your files up to some server and you can manage the versions and see all your changes

1 Like

can you be able to update it?

are there any training modules for students to use or resources available to help noobs

I think. that is a great observation - training for educators, referees, …

The short answer is there are guided instruction for using VEX V5 and VEXcode at education.vex.com - called STEM Labs. It is pretty good step by step for learning both the hardware and software platforms.

If you want to problem solve on your own, help.vex.com has a number of articles that will people walk through different issues.

There are examples that you can access in-app for specific situations and in-app video tutorials to guide you.

So I hope these are good starts - their may be some specific gaps of knowledge, but if you ask the forum, you will find willing people to help - and those the people responsible for providing the necessary support from VEX are watching as well - it will ultimately make it a great experience for all!

2 Likes

Today I was helping another team download vex code and it was frustrating finding the right link. When searching ‘vex code’ on Google this topic is the first thing that comes up and the download link doesn’t. The latest download link is not in the first post of this thread either. In short the vex code download page is weirdly hard to find.

@DRow It would be great if you could put the link to the latest vex code download page at the top of this and maybe other old topic…
VEXcode Overview - VEX Robotics

Edit: if you search vexcode as one word (on google) it seems to bring up the right link.

Also yes highly agree…

In addition to the whole vex code studio changing to vex code. It’s pobably too late now though.

1 Like

Well… VEX sort of shot themselves in the foot, in terms of search engine optimization, by using such a generic name as “VEXcode” (VEX + code = many threads on this forum).

The only “proper” way around this fact is for people to be mindful of result URLs (as you should be anyway). Obviously vexforum.com would not be the right place to find the (primary) VEXcode download page.

3 Likes

When I want to find VEXcode, I got incognito/private mode in a browser and go to vexforum.com - VEXcode announcement is at the top.

In the old forum, I would put useful links (game resources, Official Q&A…) in my signature - easy to find.

3 Likes