VIQC Pitching In Ideas

Official word won’t come until the judge guide is released some time in the summer – last year’s has a release date of 8/14/2020.

But unofficially, given that LRT and remote skills-only events are sticking around for 2021-22, there will need to be some guidelines for digitally submitting notebooks for remote judging.

6 Likes

I was thinking of a bot close to 1104 nothing but net flywheel bot. The low bars may mean the robot needs to expand and shrink

1 Like

That’s a great idea (and a beautiful bot), but one-wheel flywheels are especially hard to get right in IQ, due to the lack of flexible plastic. That being said, I’d love to see someone build one!

1 Like

would hexbug plastic used on the caution tape bot be a good substitute for lexan?

Maybe, but I would try to go with either catapults or possibly a double flywheel. Maybe something more similar to the 8059 turning point robots?

1 Like

The mechanisms used in VRC for catapults involve shaving gears to make a slip gear setup.

If anything the herobot that is given to IQ might be a good way if it can be perfected so you can do a faster rapid fire setup

2 Likes

Will flywheels work with the squishy balls?

This design could possibly be viable for this year’s game and doesn’t need any slip gears.

8 Likes

If your robot is sturdy enough, you could make a rubber band powered lift like the ones from Starstruck.

1 Like

Isn’t there a height limit though

Are you reminding us, because you have read rule G5 of the game manual, or asking because you haven’t read rule G5 yet?

6 Likes

I’m a high school student doing vex V5 but my team and I will volunteer at a vex camp this summer and I have a few questions about vex IQ pitching in. I haven’t done vex IQ in years so I forget some general IQ rules. What is the motor limit for the robot for this year(pitching in)?

1 Like

Six Motor limit.

https://link.vex.com/docs/viqc/pitching-in/Game-Manual

9 Likes

Will it be possible to reach the high goal from the side, the robot height is 19" and the goal is 20". I’m looking to find out how close to the goal the robot will be able to reach.

Not sure what your question is…looking at the game manual (https://content.vexrobotics.com/docs/21-22/pitching-in/GameManual-0.2.pdf), you can see that it is possible to drive a robot right next to the goal. There are some hanging bars in the way on a couple sides. Your statement is correct, a robot can expand vertically up to 19", and the high goal is a little taller.

2 Likes

It depends on what robot your building. Also you have to experiment a
lot to solve that, half of us are still working on our bot so we can’t anwser that question now. Once I am done with my robot I will let you know if it is possible or not

1 Like

I have tried several both tall and short robots, and I have seen that for the tall ones, there is still some distance (mostly horizontally) between the robot and the high goal. This is because the goal is in the center of the “cage” round it, so to get really close to the goal, you have to extend over the lowest bar on two sides of the goal.

With a robot like this, it is also important to take into consideration that your can only score from two sides of the goal (only one side if your robot can’t get past the bar). Initially (when I was building a short robot) I thought it wasn’t a big deal that it could only score from the two sides of the goal that don’t have the plastic sheets. But after I made it able to score from all four sides, it significantly increased my score. This is largely because if you look at the field setup, most of the balls are on the sides of the goal that have the plastic sheets. This means that if you can only score from the other two sides of the goal, you have to do cycles that are twice as long. This takes away time you could be using to do two or three more cycles, which might be around 6 balls or 36 points (it could also easily be more).

These are just my thoughts, so feel free to take it or leave it. Either way, I’d love to see your robot when you’re done with it. Good luck!

3 Likes

actually you might only need one flywheel motor since you can link flywheels with gears and/or sprockets

True, and I have seen a robot that only uses one. At least to start with though it might be good to use two because you can easily get a low hang with one motor. On the other hand using one motor could be goo because if you keep it spinning for the whole match it won’t really matter if it takes an extra few seconds to spin up. Not only that but the flywheel will be using less battery power because there is only one motor so your drivetrain can be faster. I’ve done some experimenting and while spinning up a two motor flywheel it takes a lot of power and it slows everything else down significantly.

It could be similar to last year in Rise Above doing one or two motors on your arm. With one motor, your arm was slower, but you could use a motor for something else (e.g. an H-drive). Or you could have two motors and have a faster arm. With a one motor flywheel it would spin up slower but you have another motor. With two motors it will spin up faster but it takes a second motor.

3 Likes

You can score from all four sides of the high goal, correct?

1 Like