What is a PID?

Hey, I’ve heard a lot of talk about PIDs. I see them everywhere in coding discussions, but I don’t think I’ve seen exactly what they are. Could someone explain them to me so I could maybe implement them for me team this year?

Welcome to the forum, please be sure to read the community guidelines.

Putting your question in the search bar (magnifying glass in upper right), the first thread is this one: PID course/tutorial - #4 by _Colossus

13 Likes

PID is an type of programming method for your robot to do things with exact precision, using either sensors on your motors (not preferred to use) or other sensors like Inertial/Gyroscope, Encoders, Potentiometer.
Think PID as auto correcting autonomous.
PID can be use to turn your robot to exact degree, Robots drive an certain distance without overshooting it, or keep Flywheels spinning at an set speed.

1 Like

This is a good resource for a variety things BLRS wiki PID

4 Likes

Get ready for someone from BLRS to say something along the lines of “Thats a great link!”

That’s a great link!

I would also recommend reading this article George Gillard PID. It is one of my favorite articles about PID.

8 Likes

Thanks you all. I’ll be sure to read those documents and see if I can make something for the season