What is slop?

A few quick google searches and a search on the forum surprisingly brought up nothing for me. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

loose screws, messy wiring, janky joints, all of that is slop

our old bot from 6th grade

purest form of slop

Slop is unnecessary space between two pieces of metal and possibly washer/spacers, that results in looseness and imperfectness of joint rigidity.

A good example of slop is if you can move your lift a relatively far distance (maybe a centimeter or 2) without engaging the motors attached to it. This is bad because it means that the motors will only be able to get the lift within a centimeter or 2 of the desired target height or position of the lift. Less slop=more accuracy and predictability

So in the vid here

why does the single bearing have less slop? Is it because it doesn’t use a spacer?

also when would the application of a double bearing joint be more ideal than a single bearing if the single bearing one is so much better in terms of slop, size and weight?

When build quality and consistency are the most important, use double bearing.

slop can also occur due to the fact screws are round and are going into square holes

That’s why you use bearings

Slop can also refer to how much movement you have with a sensor before it will detect a change.

In engineering, you have the concept of “tolerance stacking.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolerance_analysis

To be honest, slop is a very loose term.
It can mean a variety of things (but generally means that a joint with a lot of slop is just “bad” or unreliable)

• It can mean you can move something a large amount before, for example, it engages a motor.
  • It can also mean there is a lot of friction, which can cause a variety of issues.
  • It can mean that the joint is not well supported, so it can move around a lot laterally, meaning that there is selective friction.

I got that pun.

wow
@Parker

Anything that can stop your robot from functioning at its top level.

So when I’m screwing nylocks into my four bar mogo lift joints, should they be as tight as possible to prevent slop or should I loosen them a bit to put less stress on the motors?

tighten them tight and then back off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn
just feel it it should have little not no resistance, but it should not be super loose either

+1 to this
We tighten them all the way then loosen them 3/8 of a turn. This makes it so they don’t wobble but also have very little friction

it seems to work for me and i have an 8-bar
you will laugh but it works very well

How would you get rid of that because I can’t think of how you would.