What is the best Tower Takeover Advanced Drive/Chassis

So The school year is about to start and this is my second year in vex so i wanted to make a more complex drive instead of a regular 4 motor drive I made last year so I have to ask more experienced teams what would be a better drive/chassis. Is it a gear drive a chain drive? And also what is the best gear ratio for a tower take over drive.
And if you can show me concepts or ideas or tips or videos on how to build good advanced a chassis it would be helpful
Thank you

1 Like

Depends. What do you want? Speed, strength, maneuverability, stability. It really depends on what your strategy.
For speed, maneuverability I would recommend an X-drive. They are very fast and the strafing can be really useful in certain situations. Considering this game doesn’t require climbing I thing its a very viable strategy. You do lose torque but gain speed, if you want to gain the torque and less speed I’d recommend using smaller size wheels.
For strength and stability I would recommend a six wheel drive with locked omni’s in the middle. Personally I would direct drive the front and back wheels to the motors then chain them to the middle one for the most efficiency.
If all else fails all omni direct drive is always a safe option.

7 Likes

I plan to build a drive with both motors in the back to allow for space in the front to collect cubes. I plan to gear the motors together in the back and directly drive the back wheel then chain the front and back wheels together. I figured that this would allow me speed and power while saving space in the front.

3 Likes

I’ve seen some of those work well, but it does add a decent amount of friction. I typically prefer the simpler drive designs for that reason, but that’s just a preference.

2 Likes

Similar to Nylock_Nut, my team is doing a rear driven drive train chained to the front. We are using omnis in the front and friction in the back. Our team decided to use only 2 motors for our drive and thus we have a slight torque ratio for our drive as otherwise our drive is uncontrollably fast and the torque helps compensate against our lack of 2 additional motors. The viability of our system is to be tested once our 3 other sister teams finally build a basic chassis.

2 Likes

my drive has all the motors condensed into the back of the robot to save space in the front of the bot, and only the back wheels get power. this sounds bad, but the way I have it configured I can simply add some chain to make all 4 wheels powered, but I actually find powering 2 wheels to have less friction because the front wheels are completely free-spinning, and I have yet to notice any negative effects from this.
If anyone has any reasons that this is a bad idea, I’d love to hear them, but from my experience it works fine, and is quite simple

2 Likes

Do you have 4 motors powering just the 2 back wheels?

1 Like

yes. I had originally intended to chain the front wheels to the back wheels to power all 4, but I found that powering the back 2 actually worked better.

2 Likes

I understood that part I was just kind of shocked that you had 4 motors on 2 wheels. I’ve never seen that before lol. Out of curiosity, due to the fact you have 2 motors working in unison on either side, do you notice a slight speed increase than compared to a 4 motor 4 wheel direct drive? And a follow-up, are you using any ratio on the wheels, just wondering if it’s geared for torque or speed?

1 Like

Agreed, there’s a lot of ways to play this year’s game, especially so early in the season, so I’d do some good game analysis before you commit to a drive.

3 Likes

no speed increase, I actually notice no difference at all except it can push a tiny bit harder.
I have it 1:1 on 4 200 RPM motors

2 Likes

You probably realized this, but the maneuverability will be weird and will be much worse with the traction wheels. The robot is going to want to turn around the center, but that requires that the front and back wheels slide sideways a little, so the traction wheels will mess up the turning, make it slower and definitely make it less precise. I’m not sure since ive never done a design like that but your robot may end up turning around that back end instead of the center

So this isn’t my team’s first time doing a drive like this so it isn’t much of a problem, but we have never had the precision and maneuverability problem. Yes, the robot does turn from the back end instead of the center, but due to the fact it turns a tad bit faster and we’ve driven this type of drive many times before, it seems as if we are going to keep it for a bit. It also helps our design a little in that we need our robot to be a little back heavy to keep from tipping.

Edit: The part about viability being that this is our first time using V5 and since it’s so fast, we don’t know if we should increase our torque ratio or use 2 more motors for our drive.