What is the objective best drivetrain for Change Up

What are your guys’ thoughts on the best drive train for this season? What speed will be optimal? Will a 4 wheel drive be better than a 6 wheel drive?

1 Like

Because of the defensive nature of this game, I think tank drive will be the best.

3 Likes

I’m thinking for pure offense, a relatively fast drive will be good because of the fast cycle time required for this game. If you are planning to play more defense, a drive with more torque may be useful. As for the amount of wheels, there are no barriers that the robots will have to go over, so there is not much of a reason to have more than 4 wheels. Like most seasons, standard tank drives will be probably be fine for most teams, but for some teams a strafing drive like an X or H drive will be better.

2 Likes

Speed grip and pushing power are the most important. I would use tank drive with the grip tred or 4 motor wheel base. Strafing is not looking to be very important with the wide open field and simple targets to drive to.

What if someone tries to block you? strafing would be much handier then.

Though high traction wheels will not turn as well as omniwheels (If I’m completely wrong about this someone please correct me). The high traction wheels would probably be best if you are considering playing a lot of defense, because of higher traction.

Wether you want to play defense or not you’ll need to push your way past some guys

2 Likes

With this stated, would it be wise to do a six wheel drive with the middle two being traction wheels?

3 Likes

I would not advise a six wheel drive, unless all the wheels are the same, because it leads to a skipping or hoping of the wheels, which make autonomous extremely hard to code

Personally, I would go for a fast motor drive train with an X-Drive just because speed and movement are key to winning Tic Tac Toe 2.0

1 Like

I was gonna aim for ~260 becaus I see this as being a game of resources and whi can have balls in their robot at all times. Also with a faster drivetrain it is faster to traverse between goals and and get the 6 pts for rows.

1 Like

I’m planning to try and do 6 wheel 6 motor drive at 300rpm

1 Like

Look at 7700R’s tower takeover reveal. If done correctly it can actually improve your autonomous.

X-drive anyone? 282 rpm? (in directional speed)

1 Like

How many motors are you planning to use for your drive?

0 voters

I’m curious to see if more people will consider a 6 motor drive than this year, because a scoring subsystem for this game is doable with only 2 motors(or maybe one depending on how hard the balls are to lift).

I don’t see strafing as being important this season. You don’t have to line up against the perimeter, you can approach balls and goals from any angle, and defense will be an issue.

I think we’ll see a return of tapered chassis fronts to allow precision and maneuverability when intaking cubes, as well as speedy drives as you’ll be doing a lot of travel.

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking about a 300rpm (600rpm 2:1) drivetrain. It seems pretty viable, as you need to move across the field pretty quickly with this, and a lot. If this is a terrible idea, please somebody tell me, before I do it, lol.

3 Likes

I am working on a ~280 rpm 6 motor tank drive. I think that the strafing will not be a huge factor this year due to the significant spacing of the scoring locations. I think that 2 motors should be enough for a fast cycling subsystem but that might change? I also think that defense will be less relevant than quick cycle time simply because of the number of scoring locations that must be controlled.

3 Likes

So in specifics

• Mecanum Drive
  • Tank Drive(no tank treads)
  • Tank drive (yes tank treads)
  • H drive
  • X drive
  • Other
  • Robot chassis are overrated

0 voters

1 Like

360rpm 6motor tank drive. 12ft in 1.9sec. 2 speed Digital transmission toggle with scuf.

2 Likes