Where will worlds move to?

VRC/VEXU worlds started on Weds. with team check-in and inspection.

1 Like

I think that Anaheim would be a great place to move to. I mean I live in Southern California so… LAX is a fair international hub. There are direct flights to and from places like Japan and Singapore. And honestly, wouldn’t we all rather go to Disneyland than Kentucky Kingdom??? (except for the part about Disneyland being so insanely expensive)

2 Likes

The main issue with Anaheim is the size of the arena. The last time Worlds was there, the fire marshals kicked spectators out of the arena because they were sitting on the steps. All of te seats were filled and then some. Freedom Hall is MUCH bigger than the arena attached to the Anaheim Convention Center. Otherwise yes, the Los Angeles area has a lot going for it. But it also means a lot more US teams flying in and that gets more expensive. Louisville is within 10 hours driving time of about 80% of US teams, which make up about 80% of ALL teams.

2 Likes

Ermm… as far as I can remember, worlds have always starts on Wed and ends on Sat (and 2019 was my 10th worlds).

And also need to factor in another day or two for setting up and tearing down.

1 Like

$200 is a cheaper state for me.

We pay $300 in VA for states.

VRC Worlds starts on a Wednesday, but the opening ceremonies and the qualification matches don’t start until Thursday. I haven’t checked when VEX IQ Worlds is held, but I assume it runs from Saturday night or Sunday through Tuesday.

I’m not sure why the Kentucky Exposition Center schedule (in the post linked earlier by @AidenPyle) doesn’t include Wednesday, but I assume that either the events from Wednesday will be added to Thursday’s schedule next year, or the event schedule just didn’t mention Wednesday slate of events next year, or the people who made the schedule thought the VEX events that day weren’t important enough (or attractive enough to spectators) to include them on the list.

1 Like

Didn’t they say that VEX Worlds takes several (I wanna say 10, but that sounds like a lot) long days to set up? Are they not including that in the schedule?

If you REALLY want to pimp up VEX Worlds with location, the Houston NRG Center and Stadium would be reallly cool! Only problem is uh… welllll $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
NRG Center:
center-ground-sm
NRG Stadium:
NRG_Stadium_Night_2_SxOyDp03d1nteDoNKPYZQbt18q0ABlZBh-59554ce15f9b5815d9f41095

5 Likes

I agree, NRG would be great for this. But, it will never happen.

Yeah, IQ runs Sunday-Tuesday. Sunday at IQ worlds is a lot like Wednesday at VRC worlds: Venue opens late in the morning, and teams check-in, get inspected, and optionally do some skills runs. IQ practice matches are run on Sunday evening as well (VRC practice matches run on Thursday morning).

IMO this would not be feasible. I haven’t been to worlds on a Wednesday, but I think inspection alone requires its own day at an event this big. For reference, I helped out with IQ inspection last weekend. The bulk of the teams got through in ~6 hours, and I stuck around for about 90 minutes after that to inspect some stragglers and interpret for some of the spanish-speaking teams. All told, inspection was open for a hair under 8 hours, and I don’t think there’s any way that could be incorporated into another day without significantly reducing the time available for matches.

So not sure why the KFEC schedule has worlds starting on a Thursday in 2020 but I suspect it’s not because they’re planning on shortening the event by a day.

1 Like

That might just be a stub in the calendar just to reserve the spots. I’m certain VEX and RECF will flesh out the dates and reservations or have already done so with the contract.

3 Likes

I would love for world’s to be in a place other than one I would normally travel to. That has been the beauty of qualifying to go to worlds for me. I would love to travel internationally, but as its been pointed out, that is nothing but fancy. I live in idaho and I just hope to god its not somewhere here on the west coast.

1 Like

San Jose? I’m guessing it’s cheaper than LA and San Fransisco. Also, the convention centre is quite big I think, because Apple hosts WWDC there.

1 Like

well matches start on thursday. idk i didn’t really count wednesday since not much happens, so i guess you’re right

A lot happens on wed actually.
Increasingly we are seeing more teams checking in on wed, getting their robots to pass inspections, test their robots on the practice fields before it gets too crowded and even throw in a couple of skills runs.

So maybe you should consider coming in on wed in future :slight_smile:

5 Likes

we came in on wednesday, got inspected, and talked to a ton of teams, but that is about it

To each on its own.
But it is always better to get your robot clear inspection ASAP and get a few runs under your belt before thurs.
Or maybe we travel so much further and we are always desperate to have the field to run our robots to make sure everything still work after unpacking the robots.

In any case, you can’t say that not much is happening on wed, and so worlds only starts on Thur.
I am sure to many of us (maybe the majority) would take wed as the 1st official day and not thurs.

3 Likes

i meant like mentally worlds started on thursday for me at least. my mentality was different on thurs compared to wednesday that I guess mentally i thought that worlds started on thurs.

for wednesday my schedule was go to school as normal, be in robotics room for like 3ish hours, leave for worlds, 2-3ish hour drive, get inspected at 4? not sure, explore talk to teams, leave for hotel at 6? i think, not sure

for thursday my schedule was compete compete compete compete compete compete compete

i’d say pretty different but you’re right that worlds started on Wednesday

Although I have never been to worlds, Wednesday is probably quite helpful for most teams. Being able to fix any autonomous problems you have (with the field beings slightly different) and fixing any small things that may have happened over transit. Of course you do have to account for the fact that it will cost more, but given your team is okay with the greater expense I imagine the extra day to be beneficial. And then afterwards you might even be able to have some time to relax to be mentally prepared for the big day or adventure around Louisville for fun.

1 Like

As long as travelling from half way across the world won’t be a problem, than any place would be good

also would be nice not clashing with FRC worlds next season

2 Likes