Why don't platforms count towards who gets the auton bonus

According to this Q&A: What does and doesn't score after 15 second autonomous? : Robot Events

Elevated robots and mobile goals don’t count towards who gets the autonomous bonus.

Does anybody know why?

I get they just aren’t, but why aren’t they?

I don’t see how that would break the game, and I think it would encourage teams to use the gyro to program the robot to automatically balance

2 Likes

These are endgame tasks - during autonomous too easy to run your robot up platform etc…

Two scenarios that autonomous offers - getting neutral goals at beginning of match and points to get autonomous bonus points, or accomplishing cooperative autonomous task with alliance partner to get AWP.

This was described by Grant Cox in one of the season town hall video conference events. (yeah I’m not sure which :slight_smile: )

12 Likes

I believe the GDC got rid of it, because it was too op. A robot could just drive forward in the auton and earn 70 points. Low effort, large reward. This simple auton could easily beat any other program. In fact, at the Benton county fair event, ad robot had this. They won every auton their program worked.

@Jon_Jack , is this correct?

4 Likes

Mostly this actually, but you bring up another concern about effort/reward. Another concern was double rewarding teams and the general flow of the match.

While it would be really really cool to see a robot grab a goal or two and balance during auton, what incentive do they have to get off the platform and play the rest of the match afterwards? They’ve already scored a large majority of the points they were going to contribute to the match.

How boring is a match where a robot from each alliance grabs a goal or two and balances and then does nothing the rest of the match? Let’s also not forget that they effectively locked up goal(s) without the penalty of having to drive around with one or more large heavy objects slowing them down. While defense is being played on them. Since they’re not facing much defense the mechanism holding the goal in their robot doesn’t need to be as robust. It’s a different dynamic that drastically changes the way the game and robots look.

Regarding using the gyro to auto balance, I still think there are some very useful
applications of auto balance during the end game. Balancing with a partner and goals with driver control can be pretty tricky. It’s probably a lot faster if you can automate most of that process.

Edit: I expect that by the time we get to worlds some of the better robots/alliances will have some sort of mechanical and/or software based balancing aid to make the process faster, easier, and more reliable.

15 Likes

Might be interesting if the GDC would put together a video released at Worlds that would show how the game design evolved. Videos of prototypes of the game elements, game objectives, etc.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere that originally the Alliance Goals had Branches that were the same as the small Neutral Goals, but were changed out to their current form later. Seeing the GDC use the Design Process might be inspirational to some teams…or maybe I’m just a big nerd, lol

14 Likes

it also is also a possible safety hazard, as it would be possible(but not likely) that the robot drives out of the arena, or falls off the platform. (or so my teacher says)

1 Like

The alliance goals did indeed have the same branch structure as the small neutral goals. The GDC felt pretty strongly about not allowing rings on the alliance goals to be de-scored so that alliances had a safe place to score rings and not worry about losing the points at the end of the match. However, the instability of the rings on the branches meant that there were going to be a lot of feel bad moments like:

• Blue alliance picks up a red alliance goal, knocks ring off, gets DQ’d.
  • Red alliance picks up a blue alliance goal, tries to balance, ring falls off, gets DQ’d.

The current iteration of the alliance goals eliminated most of these cases.

6 Likes

We were at Benton and for our auton in the elim rounds, we programmed an auton that balanced a mogo on the platform. It tied auton… even though the other teams were able to get 2 of the 3 neutral mogos. LIke you said, Low Effort, high reward. It makes sense why the platform is banned in auton.

2 Likes

Seen that happen enough times during inspection :slight_smile:
Inspector: “Does your robot have autonomous routine?”
Team: “it does not”
Inspector: tests with competition field switch enabling autonomous mode. robot drives off inspection table. inspector catches it.
Inspector: “I am pretty sure it does”
Team sulks off embarrassed.

8 Likes