Why DRow?

Just watch this thread will be shut down for not relating to robotics

1 Like

I seriously wonder why none of the good teams never are on the forums
they would be the best ones to ask questions to

0 Likes

Most of the good teams frequent the discord

3 Likes

The good teams are the ones on the forum. They get to ask the good questions, and they get all the knowledge from surfing the forums.

3 Likes

The problem is that although this is a forum, it’s relatively hard to bond with other teams as it will cause spam and unnecessary bumps. I found the more competitive teams to use Discord as a primary method for help because teams don’t have to worry about constant spamming and bumps, the information is more secure and harder to reach, responses are quicker, relationships form between other teams, more collaborative environment, and will always be one step ahead of any forum on websites.

4 Likes

The Discord is good for quick answers, but not awesome for searching for help given in the past.

1 Like

How is this a good thing?

Every community is different, so I will not even try to generalize to other communities (and neither should you).

In this community at least, Discord is absolutely not one step ahead of the Forum. Discord is for real-time chat; the forum is for archival of information for long-term availability. Both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses, but neither is inherently “one step ahead of” the other.

0 Likes

Discord has a search feature which works really well, and I find it just as easy to search on discord as on this forum. You can message anyone within seconds for help, and you can find just as accurate responses quicker via discord. The high density of competitive teams make it possible to get fast and reliable answers, and if you are suspicious with an answer give it a little bit more time and you can get multiple responses that have an accurate answer to your question.

Not everyone is willing to announce all of their designs and strategies because people would know of it and use that knowledge of the team willing to share the information. A good example can be seen with 574C’s puncher 574C Turning Point Linear Puncher Tutorial If they hadn’t made a post on the internet/VEXForum that shows specifically how to make their puncher, I doubt that many would’ve been as far in the season as they are.

I wish I can agree, but considering that discord is real-time it will always be one step ahead, regardless if anyone likes it or not. The immediate-response type of aura from the Unofficial VEX Discord Servers makes it easier and more acceptable than VEXForum as it mimics an interactive chatroom, but as a group of thousands of VEX people that can be reached within seconds. The fact that you can reach out to so many people in such a short amount of time makes discussion quicker and more productive. Many of the things I have learned on Discord surpasses the information you can learn on this forum, simply because that you can get immediate responses from even the most competitive. Yes, this forum is an archieve of information and we do reference this forum for information lots of times, but in terms of the latest and best the Discord servers that are made for VEX teams to talk and collaborate will always win compared to a forum.

4 Likes

What you often find is broken conversation scattered with kids joking around. Its kinda garbage.

The best thing is knowing who to ask questions of and sending them a PM. I will readily admit that sometime you get a faster response from knowledgeable people there doing this. It’s also easy to go back and look at that.

Although I’ve encouraged my kids to join our state’s smaller discord because there are several teams that can answer questions, the value of the big discord is a bit dubious as far as a resource.

Its great i suppose if you just want to meme it up with people of similar interests or make fun of people you don’t like on the forums :wink:

5 Likes

Maybe or maybe not. There are teams that have had punchers before. OTOH, that tutorial is what makes 574C a great team. They are making “all boats rise”, which is what we are after. I tell my teams: “Look at other robots, don’t clone, but improve on what you see.”

2 Likes

And today I learned (or as we say in (1337: TIL) that I’m a semi-popular target on the “Discords” (Ohh so much feeling like saying “the interwebs” or “the tubes”. Where is Ted Stevens when you need him??). Now I really miss the “That Moment When” thread where I could have posted

That moment when you learn you are being trashed in the 'cords and respond ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 Likes

Replays/Video Review

haha… oh well… I don’t even dare to know what’s happening (or am I semi-popular or fully popular target) over at discords.
I just let my kids have their time there :stuck_out_tongue:

Sometimes, ignorance is really bliss. lol…

2 Likes

I could be crowned the king of scorne.

It’s funny to be trashed talked in the General chat and spoke to in private with such respect.

2 Likes

I’ll have to find a link to that Discord. (Unless I can get one here…?) I’m sure I’m probably being mentioned a couple of times. Maybe. Or I’m not as well-known as I’d like to think.

2 Likes

^^^ Discalimer: I got an invite. Thanks, @TaranMayer !
Edit: fmajadd9 talked about it. Sorry. I didn’t fact check. (The one time!!!)

1 Like

I gave that link to you
Screenshot_20190329-084511_Chrome

3 Likes

This is the modern day version of trash talking teachers you don’t like. Ignorance is bliss. Back in my day, we played outside. Now some spend their time trashing people they don’t know on chat boards.

1 Like

Every time I see something on youtube i try to replicate it and then modifie for my robot after all i have no choice because i suck at copying :woman_shrugging:

0 Likes

Please watch your topic, this thread has gotten off of it. If you would like to talk about the discord, do it on the discord or on another thread.

0 Likes

I like the irony of complaining about off topic posts in a thread that was made to complain about another thread being locked for off topic posts,

9 Likes