Worlds 2019: Engineering Division Pre-Scouting

worlds-2019

This thread is for those in the Engineering division at worlds to post reveals and get in contact with some other teams in the division. I saw posts of this nature for some of the other division so I decided to be trendy and make this one. See you all at worlds!

1 Like

Worlds 2019: Research Division Pre-Scouting

Hey guys, We are 33691A!
We are currently working on a reveal video but in the mean time, here are some pics
image image

5 Likes

Ahhhhhh, that’s hot, that’s hot!
I love the gold and blue color, and I like #punchergang!
Some suggestions I may have is you should try protecting your puncher a bit more. You should try doing spacer screw connections for your C-channels for torsion support, and there’s been a manual update that you cannot use the license plates to toggle flags. I’d suggest lowering the plates down and having a standoff that extends back instead so you don’t get stopped during inspections. Your joints for the angling mech should be a KEPS screw joint to prevent slop and inconsistencies as well.

5 Likes

Here is 6135K’s Reveal Video that was used for State. We made a ton of improvements and even now have a completely yellow and blue robot! But the robot in this video is still mostly relevant.

6135K Link

0 Likes

Hey yall, I’m from team 56J. We have a flywheel (because were Chads) along with a 2-bar. We probably won’t have a reveal for worlds but if you want to see the early season iteration of the “WhackyBoi®” it is on YouTube. On another note, would anyone like a discord made for the Engineering division?

0 Likes

and to add to Connor’s point on game manual change, back side of the license plates should be masked, tape is ok, so to hide opposing alliance color.

2 Likes

what are spacer screw connections?

0 Likes

Actually, it’s only when the the numbers are visible so we are legal :grinning:

0 Likes

Not quite sure what you mean by “it’s only when the numbers are visible” but I think your robot might have a problem with <R20-e-i>, which was added in last week’s game manual update:

If the plates are attached to opposite-color plates, the incorrect color must be covered, taped over, or otherwise obscured to ensure that the correct alliance color is abundantly clear to Head Referees during a Match.

As I read that rule, the license plate configuration shown in photos above would not be legal. From the perspective of a ref, license plates of both colors are visible in roughly equal amounts from most viewpoints. All you need to do to comply with the above rule is apply some neutral-colored tape to the back side of your red plates.

3 Likes

Ohh I got you… I didn’t read the clarified rule. So basically cover the red with masking tape

Thank You​:grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

You are welcome - I will make sure to pack some black gaffers tape for anyone who needs in the inspection line :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is where you grab white spacers and put them between the “C” of the C-Channels, and you put the screw through the entire beam. This can improve build quality and prevent a great deal of torsion of the structure. You can see some of these connections on my reveals/close ups/build quality tutorial. :smile:

3 Likes

What size spacers fit these connections just right? I was cadding some today and I couldn’t find a combination that fit perfectly

0 Likes

The half inch and 3/8 inch fits right if I remember correctly.

The width of a C channel is 1 inch and the sides are about 1/16 of an inch thick each

0 Likes

Hmm, my cad library seems to be missing the 3/8 one. Thanks!

0 Likes

Anytime!

1 Like

This might be a stupid question but was is a KEPS Screw Joint?

0 Likes

Its a marvelous screw join, that is pretty much the best joint to use. @Connor1814D goes into detail in his helpful build quality video

2 Likes

Isn’t it when you use a screw with spacers for a pivoting system instead of a shaft?

0 Likes

Pretty much. You basically screw a long screw to one c channel real tight, then put on a keps nut, a washer, and then your other c channel with a bearing on it, capped by a washer and a nylock. The tighter the nylock, the less slop, but leave it loose enough to provide minimal friction

2 Likes