Wrong standoffs in TiP kit?

I’m not smart enough to post videos on the forums so check discord

Just upload it to youtube and link it here.

2 Likes

BAHAHAHAHAHA fair enough

Or use Google drive, or an unlisted youtube video, or a regular YouTube video.

Any other questions? Now I know I can also make videos to answer them.
Keep in mind the platform isn’t connected to the walls so it is slightly more wobbly than it would be.
I can also take a more clear video, I have all my tiles down now.

10 Likes

can you do another video?
this time with it all the way connected?
seems odd that it has so much wobble
Woe to the steel robot that breaks that

3 Likes

As always I’ll still take any and all questions :+1:
[thanks for the epic thumbnail, YouTube]

25 Likes

It still looks like you may have a bit more play in that Platform Base than is ideal.
This is a time where these screws really need to be tightened down well. I’ve gotten a few questions like this already, and to hopefully ease some anxiety that may exist in the future I figured I’d reply here since I’m sure these videos you are posting will get some attention.

This standoff/screw combo into the under tile plate is very important to get right and tight.
InkedIMG_0008_LI

Because the 3/8" screw and the 1-1/4" screws face the opposite direction, there may be a time when you actually loosen the 3/8" screw while tightening the 1-1/4" screw. The result of this is a shakey Platform Base. The best way to solve this is throwing some elbow grease into the 3/8" screw when installing the 3/4" standoff. Make sure all these screws are super tight and you’ll have the best results. The Platform will still shake a little during use, but that’s to be expected.

8 Likes

This not clear to me - if you have tightened the top most screw -1-1/4 - into the standoff, the standoff will continue the torsional forces clockwise and thus also tighten the 2/8 screw. I did quick finger test to see how the bottom 3/8 screw would go and sure feels like it too is tightening. Maybe I am missing something here.

1 Like

I guess my explanation is not super clean, but the fact remains that I’ve personally seen a tight 276-4991 & 275-1015 combo get loose while attempting to install the Platform.
My warning remains the same. Make sure everything stays tight during assembly.

8 Likes

We have the anti-static floor tiles, which may be thinner than the non-anti-static tiles and found we needed to substitute out the 3/4" standoff that goes into the floor plate with a 1/2" standoff. Would this be considered a reasonable assembly?

I’m probably overconfident but I’m not too worried by the wobble anyway,

I think the big issue is the molding of the box halves.
This is tough to explain so I drew a little picture,

Instead of being flat on the bottom, it reaches a tip (shown on the right) which I feel like is at least part of the issue.
Also I should note that I got my 2nd dose the same day I assembled these so I was not working at 100%, I can open up the boxes and re-tighten.

Edit: I see what you mean by I could of loosened it in the process, I’ll definitely investigate that screw tonight.

6 Likes

I am reporting back.

I just tightened the screw inside, I made sure both sides had no give whatsoever but the platform is still wobbly.
I believe I have found the primary “culprit” of the wobble, and that is the plate holding the platform under the tiles itself. I know there’s not much to do about it but the plate creates a lump that the block sits on. Since this lump is in the center, there is elevation on both sides of the block and that means room for the whole thing to wobble.
Perhaps there can be an official addition that adds thin layers (like styrofoam) beneath both sides of the block to resolve the lump issue, I believe this would be the best solution to eliminate wobble.

I’m going to try to test this and post another video.

Edit: YALL ARE GONNA LOVE IT (hopefully)

9 Likes

Will be getting game set tomorrow - if FedEx allowed to drop off material tomorrow. Our HS students will be doing field assemble - will have cameras rolling to record whole field and close of elements.

Request particular close up shots you need.

I will be focused on not blowing up robot gardening gear tomorrow.

2 Likes

YOU GUYS DON’T KNOW HOW SATISFYING THIS IS

Why does YouTube love to make the thumbnail the frame with my hand in the corner

19 Likes

While that seems so much better and I’d love for that to be how the real platforms work, I probably wouldn’t recommend using this fix because you might end up being unprepared for platforms at real events where they aren’t allowed to fix the wobble in this way.

Obviously it would be best if an official fix was made or something to legally allow events to minimize the wobble in their platforms, but unless there is it’s probably best to practice with a wobble platform instead of a balanced one so you know your robot will be able to use platforms at events.

5 Likes

hopefully, they make this the official fix

2 Likes

That’s awesome! But, probably not very marketable as a standard fix. Is it possible and or successful to switch the standoff between the circular plate and the support to one size lower (.75" to .5" i believe)?

7 Likes

You bring a really good point, it’s not the usual stand-off fix that were used to. But I would partially disagree because the corner brackets are just what I had laying around, and out of all the teams attending I hope that someone has anything thin enough to fit under there and stay. We’ll just have to see what vex does.
As for the smaller stand-off, let me test that now and I’ll get right back to you.

1 Like

Ok I tested it, here are the results:

-Unfortunately 0.5” standoffs saw no difference in wobble, I was hoping it would work.

However, I decided to test my lump theory while I was at it, here are the results (that I am very happy to see):

-With just the plate [so no stand-off at all] the platform still had wobble, which was worsened by not having a screw, this came as no surprise.
-With nothing at all [so no stand-off OR plate] there was no wobble whatsoever.

Of course we don’t want to have an unsupported block, but this further proves that there simply can’t be a lump or hill under that block if we want easy stability.

8 Likes

Alright, is it possible to achieve a similar outcome using either axles or zipties in place of the corner brackets? Might be janky, I’m not totally sure.

1 Like