2021-2022 VEX IQ Challenge: Pitching In

Dang that thing is huge. You can fill it with Squared Away balls because they are about the same size.

3 Likes

An additional note on this. Squared Away balls are not only the same size, but the exact same weight as the Pitching In balls. I am not sure exactly what the specifications on the balls mean by “padded” and that they are filled with “stuffing” though. If anyone does get the game kit, particularly the official balls, I (and I’m sure others on here as well) would appreciate some details on them.

4 Likes

Looking at the pictures, the Pitching In balls look to be made of a leather-like vinyl material with stuffing inside. In other words, they will probably be at least slightly ‘squishy’. This makes sense, considering they are expecting them to be shot around; a soft lightweight ball will hurt less when it hits someone (which will probably happen quite a bit…)

7 Likes

Honestly they remind me of the balls I used to play with in Elementary School (with a parachute) but without the beans inside. Honestly this game seems kinda easy because there aren’t that many balls on the field. I think there will be a good deal of teams that max out driver skills by worlds

6 Likes

When I first saw them the thing I had thought was that they would be like hacky sacks or the sacks from a VRC game in the past

2 Likes

And reset the field every match if you can’t reach like me.

cant reach into goal have short arms like trex

24 Likes

I noticed that slide but was thinking it made it travel friendly for EPs. I am sure that the Vex warehouse crew must be bored today and wants to ship out game kits to forum users first! Can’t wait to get our sets!

2 Likes

As well here’s a bit of a demo of the balls to get an idea before kits ship out. I was gonna rip one open but it’s just like stuffed animal floof on the inside. It’s like a hacky sack with soft fluffy insides!not a bankshot ball

18 Likes

No flywheels, I guess then.

3 Likes

Not with that attitude.

29 Likes

Is there a pdf for instructions on building a makeshift center goal?

Sorry meant the hero bot instructions

Literally the first post in this thread.

4 Likes

Is there a preset controller program for the Fling robot? For example, after building the Fling robot, how do you release the catapult using the remote?

I posted it here, but I’ll attach it here as well.
It’s a super simple program to run Fling that I was using during testing. It’ll be a great starting point on your coding journey.

IQYeet v2.iqblocks (18.7 KB)

8 Likes

I love the program name

8 Likes

Thanks @Sidoti, much appreciated

1 Like

Requiring a basic program is a great next-step for the trainer builds. I’d like to see this continue going forward, as we usually use these basic trainer designs for our STEM Summer Camps at MCCC. A novice team can run the Clawbots with the canned driving program, then the next step, the basic trainer for the current game, opens the door to programming as well.

3 Likes

Example projects for the hero robots will included in the next update of VEXcode IQ / V5. We’re targeting towards end of June for the next round of updates… we’re cleaning up some things after spending the last two months on Virtual Skills.

5 Likes

@Sidoti
Most helpful guy this season.

4 Likes