Are Scuffed Controllers OP?

Are scuffed controllers op? Are they just a advantage for those that own a 3D printer? Let out your thoughts on scuffed controllers here!

(Scuffed controller Tinkercad for those that clicked here for that)

3D design VEX V5 Scuff Controller Strengthened V3 | Tinkercad

1 Like

i personally think that no, they are not OP. I have seen teams who don’t have a 3-D printer buying it from teams that do, and have only ever seen 1-2 of the top teams in my state using scuff. i think that it can give an advantage, but only a slight advantage.

1 Like

not really, no. if you have to be pressing a lot of buttons it can be nice, but it’s really just driver preference. I don’t use them because I don’t want to have to rely on a potentially breakable controller attachment to be able to drive well. And I’ve never found myself wanting to be able to press more buttons easily.

6 Likes

I would like to note that last years VEX U champions, team YNOT, used scuff controllers. Personally I don’t like the feel of them and prefer having a painted controller.

3 Likes

I’ve been on and off of them the past few years.

I’ve found the more I drive the more automation I want in my controls, and the simpler I want my controller. We drove claw with the cortex controllers and when we switched our robot to V5 we found ourselves wanting more buttons.

While it’s true that scuffs give you more buttons without bringing your finger off the joysticks, it’s also more buttons to remember to press.

Replacing single action buttons with automated sequences makes it easier to focus on driving. For example, instead of having two buttons to control a lift where when you hold one button the lift raises, and when you hold the second button the lift lowers, you can have one button with two preset positions and it toggles between the two. You can even have a third position that the lift goes to when the button is held. This was done for the mobile goal lift and tilter for AMOGO and DOGO, and this is just one example of ways to simplify your control schemes. You can use shift keys and preset ladders to further simplify.

But are they OP? Whatever you practice with is OP.

With that in mind, you can hold the controller like this and get access to every button without taking your fingers off the joysticks. If you practiced enough and got used to your pointer fingers on the sticks, this accomplishes more then having scuffs.

Hope this helps!

17 Likes

Totally agree with this statement.

It might be useful in some ways, but it is definitely not a magic bullet or something that will propel a team from good to great.

And regarding too many controls… then another potential alternative will be to have 2 drivers (which is pretty popular in Singapore) ?

6 Likes

That is such a smart idea. I wonder if it would work with smaller hands. Physically reaching all the buttons at all while hands are placed to cradle the controller and move the sticks through their full range is a problem for some.

2 Likes

So a few days ago I built a two-wheel battlebot with inverted tank tread wheels based off of @Time_Genius 's Derpy, and I tried holding my controller this way just to see if it would help.
IT ACTUALLY WORKED

3 Likes

How long did it take to get good at that way of holding the controller?

1 Like

…about five minutes

Was it even comfortable?

Not really, but it worked