C-Channel for Drive Base

Hey guys! So, recently while redesigning my cad, I ran into a problem: Which c-channel should I use for my drive base? What are the pros and cons of 5-wides vs. 2-wides and which would you recommend? I am building a mecanum drive.

• 5-wides
  • 2-wides

0 voters

We use 3 wide…

3 Likes

Hmmm… I don’t believe our school has any of those…

My team uses a bit of all 3

Could you elaborate?

People will tell you otherwise, but imo it really doesn’t matter at all what you use. Just build what you like and what helps you accomplish your goals.

8 Likes

last year i built a thicc steal base with 5’s but this year i did a litheter bot with 2’s

but fives are less tipsy

what kind of bot u making if u do a lift do 5’s possibly steel 5’s to keep your center of gravity low so u dont get knocked over

if ur doing a snail do 2’s or 3’s

2 Likes

3s are the best.

1 Like
  • 2 wide
  • 3 wide
  • 5 wide

0 voters

This year there won’t be any viable db4’s so I see no reason to have a heavy base. 5-wide steel is crazy overkill counterweight for the sort of tasks available in change up. Given the choice of 2-wide vs 5-wide, 2 wide is always better. You can fit 2 2-wides next to each other, and they’ll have more flanges than a single 5-wide and be much easier to box bolt. I agree with josh that you can have a competitive robot no matter what you choose, but it’s just not efficient to force your drive motors to haul around that extra weight for no reason. Counterweight is not a valid reason this season, and it’s arguably never been a valid reason. There are more efficient methods to prevent tipping as we saw in tt with sliding and flip out anti-tip mechanisms.

5 Likes

i would disagree especially when u say never or in tt. there will be less of a need this year. also u can push from the side or over the antitips

So, what if I am going to do a traybot? (I am. At least for the beginning of the season anyways)

Even still, I would stick with 2-wide. I assume your lift will be a 4 bar, so you’re lifting semi-linearly. As long as you have your drive motors (and other weight such as battery and brain) properly distributed low on your base, you won’t have any issues with tipping.

And for the person that just flagged my comment I am flattered by your immaturity.

4 Likes

This year the characteristics to strive for in a robot will probably be speed and maneuverability, so I see no reason for 5 wides. Keeping the robot light like in TP should be to your advantage.

1 Like

Whoever flagged ThirdDegree’s post, please stop

1 Like

For lifts we are generally talking about extremely light and small lifts, like things lifting max about 2-3 pounds plus their own weight probably about 26" in the air. Also for a short period of time, so I really thing extra weight isn’t going to help much.

I second that akaowen ^

Excessive flagging may be super annoying, but it is interesting to note that you took the time to throw in that extra barb. I hate spam flagging, but really? This seems like an impulsive display of immaturity itself.

1 Like

can we stay on topic we dont need coments adresing coments adresing flags it just slows down conversation

4 Likes

If the terms I used offended you I do apologize. I thought my barb was rather mundane. It wasn’t a personal attack, rather a small addition to draw attention to a frustrating activity

4 Likes

I still think though that 3 and 5 wides might be ok because as Josh was saying if they help accomplish your design then so be it. Personally I would only take on the extra weight if I was absolutely sure it had a purpose in my design, otherwise I would default to 2 wides which are best for general use. So basically if you want to use the others then plan your robot really well so they have a purpose.

3 Likes