I Built a Quadrupedal Drive

Boston Dynamics better watch out.

Let’s call it a Q Drive to keep the letter thing going.

@AD1481 I told ya I had a good one coming

61 Likes

I gotta hand it to ya Taran, this… this is next level.

7 Likes

Neat
20 characters…

3 Likes

I probably have to take a break for a day or two in order to clean up my room and take apart all of this stuff, but when I’m done with all of that I’m taking suggestions for what to build/what to make a tutorial for next.

2 Likes

This has got to be, by far, THE COOLEST drive I have EVER seen. What a drive Taran! Keep it up!

1 Like

@TaranMayer

New drivebase suggestion:
Make a drive that can jump

Edit: attempt at your own risk

20 Likes

YEEEEEEES! That would be pro-level! How would you even begin? I have to say Taran, if I make it to worlds this year, and you have proof of a jumping robot, bruh… I will give you all of our leftover free stuff.

3 Likes

There has already been a robot that “hop”, but I gotta admit, a jumping robot would be cool to see!

7 Likes

The only downside is that depending on how high the drive jumps and how heavy its is, jumping could be a one way ticket to destruction

3 Likes

Punchers angled at a 80 degree angle to the ground. Fire them all at once.

6 Likes

It has to be able to walk too.

2 Likes

I think I have an idea for how to do that…

Any other suggestions?

2 Likes

Make sure it is within the 8-motor limit tho.

2 Likes

Walk or move? i.e can I use wheels?

2 Likes

Oh. Either or. I think it would be cool if you added punchers to this one to make it jump.

1 Like

Lol I’m not adding punchers to anything. I would be using actual legs.

1 Like

Although, if you gave it wheels, you could possibly actually have it jump up onto things…

1 Like

Lots of rubber bands

2 Likes

If I am to build a jumping robot, it would likely take the form of a robot with 4-6 legs, with joints at the shoulders and elbows. I would power the shoulders and elbows independently. It would likely need all 8 motors. My main concern would be how to make the legs fold out fast enough to make the robot jump.

I should note that I have 1 slip gear, and 1 linear slide rail, so punchers are not an option.

2 Likes

You could use ratchets. Would mean more weight and size tho, but with enough bands and enough motors you could easily make it jump lol

1 Like