New Products - December 2022 (5.5W Motors)

Individual 5.5W Motors for V5 & EXP are now available for purchase! They can be found here.

Note, these motors are still NOT legal for use in VRC / VAIC / VEX U (as of right now).

As always, international availability will vary.

27 Likes

19 Likes

Does this mean you are on the GDC now?

8 Likes

Any indications these will be susceptible to the Rev10 diode problem described here:

8 Likes

No, The 5.5w motor is a completely different design.

11 Likes

To play devil’s advocate…

Why redesign a motor if the old one was working well? This takes time & money, so why spend them if not needed?

Were the internal mechanicals beefed up?

Are electronics more ESD resistant?

Has thermal mgmt been improved?

Etc…

3 Likes

Are these motors more resistant to static-related issues than the 11w V5 motors? For instance, do they have static protection diodes?

7 Likes

The product page for this motor is devoid of almost any details about the motor itself, and there is no kb article that I can find. More questions:

• What RPM does the motor spin at? The product page says “Note: This motor operates at a set RPM” without actually specifying what RPM that is.
  • What is the TPR or resolution of the motor’s encoder?
  • Is the threading on the mounts 8/32 as on the 11w motor?
  • What is the stall torque of the motor?
  • What is the torque/speed/power curve of the motor?
  • As demonstrated with the 11w V5 smart motor, the metal mounting standoffs and mounting legs can be and are damaged quite often. Will there be replacement motor caps/standoffs for the 5.5w motor?
  • At what temperature will performance begin to be limited?
  • How does the current limiting system in VEXos react when a 5.5w motor is used? Is it the same as if it were a 11w motor?
  • What is the current limit of this motor?
  • Does the motor regulate its internal voltage similarly to the 11w motor?
  • If so, what voltage does it regulate to?
12 Likes

they’re cheaper for a different use and clientele

2 Likes

I’ll answer some of these, some I would need to lookup details so will skip those.
This is not a new motor, it’s been shipping with EXP for several months.
The firmware is very similar to the 11W motor (same code base).

Nominal 200rpm, as far as V5 vexos is concerned it is similar to an 11W with green cartridge.

This is a little complicated. We had to make this motor play nicely with vexos, so as it is seen as a green cartridge motor which is 900 counts/rev. Internally it’s a little different.

yes

That I need to check, I want to say 0.5Nm, but I’ll verify that later.

same as the 11W. 55C.

same as the 11W.

2,5A

This motor was primarily designed to work with EXP, so when used with V5 we run it at less than the maximum 12V we run the 11W motors at.

We limit the pwm to simulate about 7.2V, but that’s not an exact science.

11 Likes

More questions (oh how wonderful it would be to edit my post instead of making another):

• What are the dimensions of the motor?
  • Is there a CAD model of the motor that can be published.

Ok that’s enough. To save everyone’s time, can all the information present on the 11w motor’s product page also be shown for the 5.5w motor on it’s page? That’s basically what these questions boil down to.

9 Likes

again, this is not a new motor, see more info in this topic.

8 Likes

Some of these can be answered by this:

At one point it was mentioned that these are the old 393 Motors repackaged.

Great info, thanks for answering. Hopefully these can be put up on the product page soon, along with the info in Art’s post that you linked.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

4 Likes

We have to scale raw counts coming to the motor for spinTo position and out for the motor position. It’s something like a 15/8 factor, so 480 internal encoder counts becomes (480 * 15/8) 900 output counts. It just made vexos compatibility (along with all the sdk for VEXcode and PROS) a whole lot easier.

9 Likes

There’s also more information here.

Ignore the encoder spec, it’s technically not incorrect as that was/is the spec for the IQ motor, but implementation is as I explained above.

8 Likes

That’s a great article! Thanks for linking. Hopefully @DRow can fix that TPR issue. Maybe a link to that kb article can also be added from the V5 electronics kb? It would go here:

What voltage does it end up getting capped at? I ask because then we’ll know what voltage range to use to control it when using voltage control.

6 Likes