Notebook Pain

only notebooker writes in it. if my teammate did anything other than a signature i think i would commit a hate crime

3 Likes

Imagine ur notebook was written in pen till this momment in life.5eb221c13ea2da9a1efac5a39405b90887-baby-yoda-throwing-up.2x.w710

What are you talking about? Every notebook should be written in pen.

18 Likes

Till the ink leaks from the pen. All the ink over the page could pass through other pages.

Engineering notebooks should always be in pen, because that way there is no way to lie about the engineering process because you can’t erase normal pen. Just use a pen that doesn’t leak.

17 Likes

but what if, you, being an engineer, have this constant need to disassemble and then reassemble pens?

17 Likes

@Sharky_do - he’s 100% correct; in fact, one of requirements on the rubric for a Vex engineering notebook being evaluated for an award at an ‘expert’ level is “should be in ink”. If you look at the rubric, you’ll see that an engineering notebook “not written in ink” is one of the points at the lower ‘proficient’ level.

As mentioned by @CrazyKingRoyale, one of the biggest reasons is that errors in an engineering notebook should never be erased or otherwise removed from the notebook; they are part of the process. The errors should be crossed out with a single line.

17 Likes

entire pages soaked in ink just adds to the authenticity of the notebook, alongside blood, sweat, and tear stains.

19 Likes

Just use the blood as red ink and make the sweat and tears a part of a diagram. Works every time

1 Like

Personally, I usually do a box or circle with arrows to a correction. I find it’s easier to read that way, but definitely should not be erased or truly covered to the point of unreadable.

4 Likes

That makes sense, and as long as everything is clear should (hopefully) be fine. I mentioned crossing out with a single line because that is specifically what the judges guide says regarding errors. :slight_smile:

Remember, all you note-bookers out there - the judge guide is literally what the Judge Advisor bases the training of their event judges off! When in doubt, always start there; it is available for everyone and it fairly clearly lays out the basic items they are looking for.

https://www.roboticseducation.org/documents/2019/08/judge-guide.pdf/

6 Likes

Sorry for replying to an older post. I was wondering though: is this American or Canadian Thanksgiving? In Canada, Thanksgiving is usually celebrated in October whereas America typically celebrates in November.

3 Likes

Thanks for the question, I celebrated thanksgiving in America.

1 Like

I also like using the extra comment section to write out the editing process, like why something like a chart or title was crossed out and how it helps make it less confusing

2 Likes

This was the first year my team actually put reasonable effort into the notebook. We completely filled up the first one and we had to expand to two volumes. It’s like 180ish pages in total I think. It paid off in the fact that we won a design award which would have qualified for states if there is a states.
Anyway now we actually kind of like doing it. It’s not the work of art that some of my school’s teams have had in the past, but it actually is a functional log of the engineering process. yay decision matrices

7 Likes

ow, OW OW PAIN!!!

2 Likes

No it was fun lol (20 characters)

3 Likes

On a separate note, I now understand the “20 characters” meme. (20 Characters)

3 Likes

We… as in multiple people work in your notebook? I wanna know more

6 Likes

Yeah. Our school does 3 person teams so we all worked on it. While the workload wasn’t totally even, we all worked in it. We had usually had people do it at home between practices.

4 Likes