This years rules have more grey area than a fresh box of anti-static tiles

How does hoarding really work? If a robot possesses a goal which is held outside the corner tile, can they defend the position of a goal placed in the corner so long as their possessed goal does not enter the corner tile? Do two goals need to be completely contained in the corner tile or can one just be partially in it. How far from the corner do you have to be to legally play defense?

Why use the word “roughly” in the definition of Hoarding? Why not just state that if two goals occupy the volume of the corner, they cannot be actively defended by a robot. Don’t say “the corner roughly the size of one foam field tile” when you could just say “the corner field tile”.

Does placing a tipped over goal to block access to other goals placed in the corner count as hoarding through SG10?

“This rule is not intended to be taken in its most extreme literal interpretation, and not all interactions … need to be scrutinized with the same intensity as if it were a robot.” I prefer precise literal interpretation, when this can be applied to rules that carry automatic penalties no matter how inadvertent or insignificant the transgression is.

SG3. So contacting a game piece that is contacting a robot, which is contacting a game piece, that is contacting an opposing platform is in violation of SG3 during the last 30 seconds. So you can tip over and use the high goal as a “foul lightning rod”?

Per SG9 do the wires coming from control towers count as internal or external? What does it mean for an object to “leave the field”?

Can a robot be considered trapped if it is caught between an opponent and an opponents platform in the last 30 seconds, such that any movement they make to escape might result in a platform penalty?

Is it actually a good idea to take one or two elevated platform penalties to increase your opponents score if you are losing or winning by a lot for a higher Strength-of-Schedule?

Reffing this game without the ref certification course has been… challenging.

13 Likes

I know, I went to a competition and there were so many times where we lost because of stuff like this.

Also according to SG3 (Platforms are “safe” during the endgame), G13 (Offensive Robots get the “benefit of the doubt”) supersedes G14 (You can’t force an opponent into a penalty). So I interpret that as if a team gets pushed into the opposing platform, if that team is defensive they get a penalty, if they are offensive they don’t, but then comes the question, when is the robot offensive/defensive, if a team tries to bring a neutral goal from the opposing side to their side, are they defensive because they are de-scoring the neutral goal from the opponents, or are they offensive by trying to score the goal for themselves?

2 Likes

This might be the best forum thread title ever.

26 Likes

I suppose you could, but it would be silly to do so because if anything is touching your platform at the end, then it wouldn’t be considered elevated. Also I steer my students away from these sorts of strategies, because it relies on the referee agreeing with your perspective of the rule AND the referee actually noticing the violation, which in the chaos of the last 30 seconds I don’t think they will be looking for ticky tacky calls like that.

2 Likes

Is it just me or whenever you don’t see something happen, the ref calls it, and when you do see something happen the ref says it never happened…

2 Likes

Hey, they are just calling it both ways! Fair is fair :slight_smile:

7 Likes