V5 render release thoughts

I like the graphical display they are adding to the new controller. I find that values (like for this game and cone counters for auto stacking) can be displayed on there and the drivers can ‘use’ them (like for this game see if the cone count number is equal to the number of cones physically there). Also debugging would be very nice because another place to display values I guess. Maybe the screen could replace LCD (most probably not)? In fact more graphical displays the better (you can now do 2 LCD’s and the remote graphical display).

My club doesn’t have much money, so the transition to V5 will hurt us financially. However the pricing is better than I expected, especially with a trade-in program. Though I definitely share your frustration with the monopoly that VEX has given themselves, making the prices higher than they really should be, especially with what they’ve recently done to restrict their resellers (we miss ordering from you @Rick TYler !).

What I’m wondering, if the new brain and controller are so much for fancier, why are the current ones so expensive? I’m not extremely knowledgeable on these things, but plenty of users here with more knowledge about microcontrollers tend to agree that they are much more expensive than they really should be.

It is the spirit of VEX my friend.

First, I would like to say that most of the parts that you can get cheaper from another source, you are allowed to buy from other sources. (i.e., zip ties, rubber bands, nuts and bolts, etc.) For the items that are proprietary, what evidence do you have that they are pricing them high. Without knowing VEX Robotics cost structure on their products, I would be very hesitant to make a claim about their pricing. I don’t think you can look at the cortex and compare it to something like a Raspberry PI as the Cortex (as will the V5) contains plenty of proprietary hardware not easily available and pre-packaged. Plus the advantage of having a relatively self-contained unit keeps the playing field closer to level as many teams would not have the expertise to take something like a Raspberry PI and make it usable for competition, thereby giving those teams with those skills an incredible advantage. I personally was very encouraged by Paul Capioli’s first look at a price structure.

Because you are not just getting the micro-controller, but an integrated system with proprietary hardware designed to work together in a package accessible to to teams with limited resources and knowledge, yet be upwardly scale-able to teams that can do more. You cannot compare the price of the Cortex (or V5) to a Raspberry PI, for example. That is like comparing the price of a computer to the price of a motherboard.

It has been stated for a long time that the V5 would be compatible with the current sensors, but not with the current motors.

Actually, if you read Mr. Copioli’s posts, you can see that the V5 system will, in fact, be compatible with the current 393 motors, but they are just not recommended for competition (Which leads me to believe that the V5 motors will be a good deal stronger than the regular 393’s).

Source:

I did read the post. However, I guess I did not make it clear that in past communication (Event Partner Summitt, World’s, etc.) there were statements made that indicated that V5 would not be compatible with the current motors. And those statements did indicate that the new motors would be more powerful than the current motors. Which seems to be corroborated by the new batteries being nominally 13.2V rather than the current 7.2V. I am surprised (pleasantly) that it will be compatible with the old motors (even marginally), particularly for those of us who use VEX in our PLTW classes.

where might i go after this upcoming event to learn the info if i cannot attend?

I think the issue is more that it doesn’t make sense that vex will now be selling something better for less money

That’s a good thing though. It doesn’t make sense to me either, but I’m not complaining, more for less is always good

@536Mentor do you really doubt that Vex proprietary products are grossly overpriced? On the open market, you can get a decent 3 axis gyro sensor and accelerometer combined in one unit for under $5 and it will work better and with more consistency that the Vex single axis gyro sensor and separate accelerometer which are sold for $40 each. So $80 from Vex vs less than $5 open market and the biggest difference is that the $5 version is better quality and does more.

Do you need more examples? I am hopeful that the new motors will be a bit stronger and have better quality build, but the current 393 motors are incredibly underpowered and have terrible build quality for the money you spend.

For those of you debating the “V5 is pay to play” vs. “Cortex is old and it’s about time” …

This is the exact thing we have debated for the last few years. Not developing new technology in today’s high tech world will render VEX non-competitive with newer companies trying to enter the education space. While forcing our current customers and community to constantly upgrade will lose their trust. It is a very fine line to walk. I feel pretty strongly that 8 years is a little too long to come up with new technology for education. Many of you who only use VEX EDR for competition don’t see that for every one of you there are 2 to 3 people using VEX EDR in the classroom. We must make the VEX EDR system versatile enough to work inside the classroom, not be too scary for those completely new to robotics, and advanced enough to challenge the high end competition teams. We feel V5 does a better job of satisfying those conditions.

As far as price, I believe that VEX has the best value in the market for the majority of the items. There are some fairly old products, using pretty old processors that are way too pricey for my liking, but those will be addressed after we get the new system up and running.

There will be a trade in program. It will consist of turning in a Cortex, Joystick, and two radios for a discount on the V5 System Bundle. Right now the Retail on the V5 system Bundle is going to be around $400 and consist of a V5 Brain, V5 Controller, V5 Robot Radio, USB A to Micro cable, V5 Battery (with cable), & Charger. The trade-in discount will be somewhere between $150 and $200 off. Details of the trade-in will come after the Beta as we are working out how the trade-in will work for customers outside North America and those working through resellers.

Awesome! Technology refresh is essential in this day and age. I want to run over my current cortex with my car - and back up and run over it again. It’s kind of like the feeling you get when you hold onto your trusty PC for a little too long. It’s slow and it’s a dog, but it’s a sunk cost, so you don’t want to buy another one. But once you do, you kind of do a face slap and wonder why you didn’t upgrage a long time ago! I’m sure that’s how I’ll feel when I get my hands on the V5.

Do I believe that NONE of the VEX proprietary products are not overpriced? Absolutely not, I am NOT that naive. However, in general, I believe that we get decent value for what we get for most of the products.

Quick question @Paul Copioli does the radio communications still run at 2.4ghz? I ask because my team has had problems with the current cortex disconnecting at events with wifi hotspots, with those problems being solved when the students turned them off. Any answer is appreciated, thanks in advance!

When will we know if we were chosen to be beta testers?

12th

the trade in program is looking good. With the motors it looks like it’s going to be $420 per robot (with no extras) assuming that the rules will still allow 12 motors per robot and the motors will cost $35. This will probably be the hardest hit for us next year. I also noticed that the price of the batteries went up. In the render it seems that the batteries seem to be significantly larger, I hope that also comes with a larger capacity. Having one battery with at least 6000mAh capacity instead of two batteries with 3000mAh would more than justify the price increase considering the current 3000mAh batteries cost $29.99 each plus a power expander. Also, how fast will these things charge?