VEX Portable Competition Field Perimeter

Has anyone purchased the new VEX Portable Competition Field Perimeter yet? The website says “Ships Mid January or later”. I want to buy it, but I don’t want to place the order if it’s going to be out of stock for months.

3 Likes

Both of mine just shipped yesterday but I ordered back in December.

3 Likes

The Portable Field Perimeter is now shipping. Any orders placed now should ship within the new week or two, tops.

18 Likes

@OscarMNOVA12 I would love a video review once you get it put together. I’m interested in how long it actually takes to put together, and how sturdy it is compared to the original. They say it will be just as strong…

4 Likes

I believe they were used at the Skills field(s) at Kalahari. Some teams that attended may be able to provide some feedback

1 Like

We just got two of them into the shop. I was able to pick a wall segment (1/4 of the total field) up with one arm, it’s much, much lighter than the old walls.

Assembly is quick as well, I think that it should be as fast or faster than assembling individual wall segments, and much faster with multiple people. (this is with wing nuts on the corners, corner brackets, and t-handle drivers. I think it’s super nice to be able to lay out the pieces and just tooless-ly snap them together, even with volunteers who are less adept at tool use / less familiar to how the field should be oriented.

The fields break down completely into walls, T and Triangle gussets, gps, and base strips. They fit into 2 bags, 4 total including field tiles. This is a huge improvement for transportation as I can reasonably imagine parents or students who don’t have truck beds being willing to transport these fields. The bags for the field components are kind of heavy to carry but come with handles and wheels, so shouldn’t be an issue.

I can imagine that it will be similar in sturdiness given our experiences so far, I worry more about the long-term durability of this product. I’d imagine that it would develop deep gouges and scratching over time under normal use by our 5 competition teams.

Is it worth the $1500 ($800 shipping to Hawaii :smiley: ) / per field we paid for them? Time will tell.

11 Likes

I would really appreciate if they will sell the tile and perimeter bags separately.

I run league events at different schools and venues so I am constantly hauling fields around and often have to assemble them alone and in a hurry. So these new portable fields look like they would be perfect, but we arent able to invest in all new fields right now. But I would definitely buy the field perimeter and tile bags to help transport our existing fields if I could.

I bought tile bags from Softile before and I have tried a few different options for perimeter bags but I can only find really flimsy stuff on amazon in the right size, and none of them have wheels. The last option is the AndyMark field bags. But they are $210 per field and do I really want to show up at all our VRC events with big bags that say “AndyMark FIRST Tech Challenge”?. I understand maybe the new VEX field bags are not designed for the full weight of the old fields, but I would take my chances.

2 Likes

Well, unlike FRC, whose participants often have a “FIRST or Nothing” attitude (there are exceptions, and I know some more mature-thinking teams that run both VEX and FIRST programs), I think VEX participants generally understand that all robotics platforms can be used equally to provide STEM learning opportunities for students. I really don’t think you’ll be “blacklisted” by the judges at a VEX event like you might be if you brought VEX stuff to a FIRST event.

13 Likes

AndyMark is a great company. They have gone out of their way, like VEX to support competition robotics.

Not sure if the case VEX sells would work for the metal perimeter. They are much heavier than the new portable one.

2 Likes

32 Likes

Umm, I think both @jwittenb and I @foster are interested in the perimeter bags.

This is the bag from AndyMark that he’s referencing. FIRST Tech Challenge Perimeter Panel Bags - AndyMark, Inc

Now I’m excited to see the magicians flourish over the perimeter bags. All you need is a SKU!

1 Like

We used these field perimeters for our state championship on the skills fields. While the strap and push button assembly is convenient, we ran into the issue of having the tiles end up too large to fit within the base of the fields, so we had to open the bottom of the field wall.

In addition, in order to mount the platforms, we had to use 8-32 2.5" screws which were not included with the field.

One of the field wall segments already has a large (4"?) crack on the flanged part which guides itself onto the joint pieces.

8 Likes

Can you elaborate on this? Shouldn’t the walls sit on top of the tabs around the outside of the foam, like the metal perimeter does? (albeit without the rubber feet to transfer its weight to the floor)

Our portable perimeters are being delivered this week, I’m excited to use them at states!

1 Like

Wow, and on the skills field too. I was really hoping these would hold up to competition use much better than that.

10 Likes

The fields wouldn’t fit on the tabs. May be down to how we constructed them ( assembled 3 panels, then corners like the classic metal field walls)

2 Likes

I noticed at the norcal signature event that the tiles were sort of poking out from underneath the perimeter on the edges, suggesting that the perimeter was a bit too small compared to the tiles. I think this threw off a lot of autonomous routes that realign with the perimeter wall, since the walls weren’t in the same position relative to the field as the metal ones would have been. I didn’t have any issues with them, but I only messed with them for a few seconds, didn’t thoroughly analyze them.

8 Likes

@DRow any comments on this?
Additionally, would it be possible for a CAD model of the new perimeter to be uploaded to the VEX website?

8 Likes

First, the metal field perimeters sit on top of the tabs of the foam tiles, perimeter does not contact floor directly. I suspect this should be the same for Portable Competition Fields Perimeter.

The long screws are shipped with the game platforms - I know I was shocked “what the heck are these for?” now we know. Hopefully you still have them.

2 Likes

the question now is, what were the washers for…?

2 Likes

I believe to protect the screw head from tearing through the plastic perimeter - making larger surface == less pressure.

3 Likes