Through the four seasons I’ve been in VEX, I’ve always wanted to do a reveal video, but I never got around to it. Well, now that I’m a senior, this is my last chance, so here it is!
I’m a one-girl team this season, and this is my first season building, so the design of my robot is fairly simple. My strongest areas are the Engineering Design Notebook and programming (hence the EDN and code you’ll see in the reveal). Hope you enjoy!
- 4 motor X-Drive, 200 rpm on 3.25 inch wheels
- 2 motor intakes, 200 rpm back flex wheels / 400 rpm front flex wheels
- 1 motor conveyor, 600 rpm (bottom three rubberband rollers)
- 1 motor sorter, 600 rpm top back rubberband roller / 1200 rpm top front rubberband roller
Sensors (excluding the built-in motor encoders)
- 4 distance sensors for ball positioning and scoring
- 2 optical sensors for identifying the color of balls in the conveyor (allows for automatic sorting)
- 1 inertial sensor for accurate turning and translation drift correction when accelerating and decelerating in autonomous
- 2 line trackers to stop at the autonomous line
- 2 potentiometers, which are not currently in use due to inconsistency caused by false positives (they do provide additional stability for my intakes, however)
- functions for driving forward / backward and strafing left / right with parameters to pass in the percentage of acceleration and deceleration desired in each individual run, the distance to travel, and the max speed; these have built-in translational drift correction with the inertial sensor’s accelerometer (when accelerating or decelerating) and the built-in motor encoders (when driving at the constant max speed)
- automatic sorting toggle between red, blue, and off
- driver macros with automatic sorting for scoring one or two balls, collecting balls, simultaneously scoring and descoring, and disposing
- trigonometry to accurately move from one goal to another based on the angle of the robot at the initial goal
- 15-second autonomous routine options: corner goal cycle (left or right sides), corner goal cycle with scoring the center (left side only), two goal cycle on the home row (left or right sides), home row (right side only)
There were many incredible teams at the 2021 TN State Championship this past weekend, and even though I won Excellence and Robot Skills Champion, things could easily have gone differently! Every team has good and bad days at competitions.
I’d like to give a shoutout to a few of my TN pals (although this is certainly not an exhaustive list; all of the teams I’ve had the opportunity to compete with have been fantastic!):
- to 2775J (@2775Josh), who currently have the highest skills score in TN in the World Skills Standings and have helped me a lot this season;
- to 98709C, who have the highest programming skills score in TN and came REALLY close to beating me in skills at State;
- to 663B (@Zeta ), who have had an amazing season and been such strong competitors as well as great friends;
- to 63303V (@Eli_63303 ), who have always been so encouraging - I’m sorry you were unable to come to State in-person!
Also, I was fortunate enough to receive some excellent feedback on my EDN last season, and that has helped me improve so much this season. A big thank you to the judge advisor who took the time to impart some of his expertise!
If anyone has any questions for me, regarding my robot, EDN, programming, what it’s like to be a solo team, etc., I’d love to hear from you!