I just wanna know what ideas people have come up with for shooting discs into the high goal

My idea is a little iffy but most teams that I’ve seen on videos on have similar ideas soooo, I don’t really know

Ya. that should work but I would suggest feeding it at a 90 degree angle

2 Likes

I had this idea as well, but its probably not necessary.

this may just be me, but I’ve been working on a puncherfor the past couple of weeks. it’s pretty effective actually.

1 Like

So far, it seems like flat flywheel guns will be more popular than vertical ones. Mark Rober seems to think a quarter turn hood (90*) with a single flywheel is the best in terms of flywheel guns, as compared to a no turn or a half turn (180*) single flywheel hood or any double flywheel mechanism. Non-flywheel designs that have been mentioned include linear punchers, catapults, and low goal-focused bulldozers.

One design that appears to be solely mine is a catapult or puncher that throws a stack of 3 discs. This would reduce the launch period of a robot, which not only allows the driver to intake more discs sooner, but reduces the period where a robot is vulnerable to pushing. However, this is the same concept as putting all your eggs in one basket - your shot is all or nothing. Additionally, your range changes according to how many discs are loaded at one time. It has up-sides and down-sides, but it sounds like a viable option to me.

6 Likes

My team is planning on testing various different methods, including several different versions of flywheels. But although I have yet to test them, I feel flywheels are going to be the best method for yeeting pancakes.

3 Likes

we were trying this actually like a couple of days ago, shooting 3 disks requires a lot of force that one torque motor struggles to handle with the correct amount of rubber banding, I’d still attempt to see if you can get further but, we are personally sticking with a angle changing puncher

2 Likes

no flex wheel

3 Likes

isn’t that too much spin on the disk?
When the disk hit the wall, it just flew out meters.
Just an observation.

Yeah it’s moving pretty good. Simply showing that flex wheel not required for launching.

1 Like

Check out the discussions/comparisons of flywheel, puncher and 4-ball catapult back in NBN.

And just in one NBN season, my teams had tried flywheels, (single and double) punchers, 4-balls catapults.
So…. ya… been there, done that :slight_smile:

It was very exciting back in those days, teams came out with metrics such as balls per sec (bps) and tried to outdo each other.
Maybe this season we will call it discs per sec (dps) instead.

7 Likes

I think a very critical detail to note when designing flywheels for this game is that these discs are not frisbees (or balls)

1 Like

The disc comes out FAST. I completely see people getting black eyes, bloody noses, and loose teeth.

2 Likes

We finally have our Spin Up field and the discs actually behave a lot like frisbees. I built a 90 degree flywheel that spins at 4200rpm and it spins the disc like a frisbee on a flat trajectory for 25 or more feet. It may be a bit overpowered, but when I tilted it up, I launched it over the netting from across the field.

1 Like

No. At a flat angle the discs can, not and will not act like frisbees.

1 Like

I’ve observed that the goals aren’t very forgiving when it comes to spin on the discs, and they don’t really like to hold on to them either.

2 Likes

Yes. Spin or not, when hit with a high speed disc, they tend to 1) go through 2) ricochet 3) go anywhere EXCEPT the basket.

4 Likes

2 questions, sorry I am relatively new to this and especially not informed when it comes to flywheels. What do you mean when you talk about vertical flywheels and flat flywheels? And my second question is what do you mean when you are talking about the quarter turn hood and a half turn flywheel hood?

1 Like

Vertical… the disc is upright, perpendicular to the playing field, on its edge.

Flat… lying down.

1/4 turn… the disc makes contact with the flywheel for 1/4 of a revolution or 90 degrees.

1/2 turn… disc contacts flywheel for 180 degrees, stays in contact longer.

3 Likes

Turbodog 's got you:

1 Like