Remembering the best

Fusion 360, and yes I use imates. If you create the bodies in a new component instead of the existing component it’s easy to toggle them on and off. This makes it so you can show/hide 1 component instead of each individual body. I turn them off for rendering.

1 Like

Thanks, I use Inventor and I’ve only messed around with it for a few hours, would you suggest I use Fusion 360 instead?

I think rendering is much better in fusion 360 but animation is easier in inventor, so it depends what you want to do. The softwares are pretty similar, so you could probably learn in the environment that is most intuitive to you, and then figure out how to use the other environment for the specific area that software excels at. I started using fusion because it’s available for mac, but Inventor has more educational resources pertaining to vex. Version control and file structure on fusion is also super nice and makes collaboration easier, so if you’ve got a teammate also cadding, id recommend fusion.

4 Likes

A high strength axle that was “Mushroom headed” (Simply hammering down the end until it becomes wider than the original diameter) was then hammered into a metal High strength pinion.

It’s a crude solution but it was the only one that I could think of that was thin enough to fit within the side of a 6 tooth sprocket. It was very strong and never broke during over a month of use, scrimmages, and worlds.

Here is a picture:
Intake

If you guys have any more specific questions about niche parts of these robots I can try my best to answer them.

P.S The 202Z ITZ cad is almost done :wink:

18 Likes

Does that mean that the middle sprockets are free to slide?

1 Like

No, For those I took pipe cutters and scuffed up the axle then hammered the sprockets over them. There was not space for collars.

12 Likes

It really is just personal preference. I use inventor because I don’t like the filing system on fusion. As a Mac user, I just boot off of an SSD for windows and then use it that way. I feel like inventor has an easier start for assemblies but you can do more in parts with Fusion. They’re both free for students and are both great programs. I always just recommend trying both and eventually you choose one. It’s also helpful to know both.

5 Likes

This might be considered slightly off topic, but I motion tracked some of my personal favorite robots inside my house https://youtu.be/Os-4zBV8_Zk

7 Likes

2 questions:

1. where is the file located
  2. what software is this

he uses fusion 360 for cad and render

3 Likes

In the google drive

3 Likes

Some of us have used Inventor

2 Likes
5 Likes

How do you guys all have time for this with school work and other commitments. I mean I tried building a simple clawbot in the Robot Mesh Studio CAD and it took me a solid 30 minutes just to get like 10% of the drivetrain done. Also do you guys also have a recommended CAD software that is easy to use and free?

Dude, that 22-stack OP!

3 Likes

The more practice you have the easier and more efficient you get. I would recommend Autodesk Fusion or Inventor for cad software.

2 Likes

Cool thanks.

Ugh practice :smile:

I started cadding my Tower Takeover robot from pictures last night at 6:30 and I finished it about an hour ago, including screws and nuts. With enough practice you can get really fast at cadding. I use Inventor.

4 Likes

WOW. just WOW. :flushed:

Thanks for the suggestion

7035M Starstruck Worlds reveal: