Update: 2020 VEX Robotics World Championship is Canceled

The REC Foundation and VEX Robotics have posted the following update announcing cancellation of the 2020 VEX Robotics World Championship due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak:

https://www.roboticseducation.org/covid-19-impact-on-2020-vex-robotics-world-championship/

The REC Foundation and the VEX Robotics staff are as disappointed as everyone.

Over the next few days, we will be sharing ideas on how to celebrate the season and recognize the accomplishment of the teams that qualified for VEX Worlds, the teams that had their State or National Championship canceled and the teams that build a Clawbot and competed for their first time ever at a local event.

The cancellation of VEX Worlds doesn’t define the season, although I’m sure I’ll mention often it during the opening ceremonies at the 2021 VEX Robotics World Championship. I personally will remember this season for the amazing people I met, events I attended and great and not so great robots I saw competing. I hope that once you get over your disappointment that you realize how much you have accomplished this season.

Sincerely,
Dan Mantz
CEO – REC Foundation

78 Likes

Rip.

4 Likes

Crap. Poop. Dang it.

13 Likes

Thank you Dan!

We will all try to celebrate in our own ways this season…

Sometimes you can’t just build better robots to overcome things outside your control.

21 Likes

F
(20 character limit)

4 Likes

diddly darn. this is so sad

3 Likes

Damn, tower takeover has been fun, rough, and exciting. Super sad for all the seniors. But hey there is always a day after the long night. 2020-2021 will be fun!

9 Likes

I think I speak for the entire community when I thank you for all your hard work and communication during this unfortunate time.

we’re all obviously saddened by this, but I think we knew it was coming.

I also want to give my condolences to the teams that qualified for worlds, many of them for the last time, and can not attend.

43 Likes

This hurts, and it can’t have been an easy decision, but thank you to Mr. Mantz and all of the REC foundation for making the right decision to protect competitors and everyone else.

3 Likes

Mr. Mantz, thank you so much for the time and effort you have put into this season under these trying circumstances. We greatly appreciate all you have done! You have had to deal with a very fluid situation, and I recognize that it has not been easy.

3 Likes

Aaaaand there goes my first and last Worlds qualification. Unlucky. I’m a senior… goodbye VRC

22 Likes

How and when will next year’s game be released?

13 Likes

This really hurts, and I am quite saddened by this news. I sincerely appreciate all the work you and the RECF do and have done to make VEX great. Let’s hope next year is better.

2 Likes

A lot of seniors are dissapointed about this so would it be possible for the new game be revealed early so they have a little more time left to do vex?

20 Likes

I said in another thread that I don’t give my opinion on VEX / REC decisions, but I’ll break my rule.

This is the correct decision. Thank you Dan and the rest of the REC.

23 Likes

Ahh… I wanted to ask that but I didn’t think now would be the right time.

I’m also pretty curious abt this

1 Like

To the other teams probably just as disappointed as I am (this is my last year competing in VRC) there will be more opportunities, and disappointment to come. Being the aspiring engineers we are, this is not going to be the last time you go through this! Control what you have control over and if you don’t have control over other things, don’t sweat it.

Thanks for making the past 4 years of my life great!

12 Likes

@DanMantz. Will this be rescheduled? This is really disappointing. This is the first competition our School district has ever won first place and I have never experienced Worlds before, so I was hoping it was going to stay open or even be postponed.

Thank You!

2 Likes

This is so sad. This is the first time (after trying several years) that my team won an online challenge. It’s so rare to win an online challenge and a year of hard work gone. There were only 4 spots for Worlds in my state. A lot of blood, sweat and tears to win a spot. And next year qualification is not guaranteed. This is such an unfortunate event for everyone. We also have a $$$$ VRBO that we aren’t sure we can get a refund for. My team went out for three weeks door-to-door for sponsorships. This would be like if a football team made it to the Super Bowl and then it was cancelled last-minute. A whole season gone, just like that.

7 Likes

And this would of been my last VEX Worlds in VRC

3 Likes