Ideas for tower takeover: Middle school

Hey im in the robotics club at my school and wanting to build a robot for tower takeover that intakes cubes with a chain convey belt i dont know what its called but you probaly know what im talking about and when the cubes get intaked it raises the bar like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCppJ-nLH4 but im not sure how they did it because its animated. Unlike this design in this video i want to be able to put cubes in towers. Anyone have any ideas or builds i can look at, or any other suggestions on what i could do.

2 Likes
  1. This is in iq discussion
  2. Check out the 448x, 1961z and 97963A reveal
    They dont extend passively because that would cause friction stacking as it would hold onto the top cube
5 Likes

If I recall correctly there’s an updated one that shows the mechanism.

thanks sorry didnt know what topic to click just made a account

1 Like

448x Ri3D reveal

448x Ri3D documentary

448x Ri3D discussion

3 Likes

They are trying to find out how to make a passive intake, not a traybot.

If you are looking at 81k Reverse Staker (v1) video, then it has it own topic on vex forum:

They have (v2) and (v3) animations linked which were never build according to the author.

The term that you are looking for is Chain Roller Intakes, that have many topics on the forum.

Your best bet is to study Ri3D robot that @4173cj linked and also 1961z and 97963A designs that @Doctortictac kindly suggested.

Please, don’t listen to nonsense ideas about passive cube intakes - they never work fast enough to be competitive.

2 Likes

Idk what that means, the whole purpose of making passives is to be faster and save motors
I’ve never heard passives can’t be competitive and there are (many) examples of them being effective in past competitions

3 Likes

Passives aint gonna be it this season, Itz they were fine, but this season, they just wont

1 Like

What would you use two extra motors for any ways

No, they are trying to make a traybot (which is why ALL the sources on this thread have been about traybots).

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure they edited it because I remember it describing a passive intake. Also the link is to a passive intake.

If you can have a one stage tray you can probably stack up to eight cubes which is plenty for middle school and if your intake can score and descore towers you would be unstoppable in a middle school tournament

Nah… and a 8cube onestage? Also: https://youtu.be/XYdanzbIQEU

I wouldn’t dismiss them so easily. I’ve seen some really op passive lifts, some could definitely go toe to toe with a good traybot.

6 Likes

@Deicer and @Xenon27 I have great respect for both of you, but if you mean passive intakes to be intakes without rollers to reorient the cubes, then I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion.

I understand passive intake like the one animated in great 81k v2 and v3 videos where robot needs to perfectly align itself with the cubes to intake them.

These two robots look amazing and play fast through the magik of animation, but this will never happen on the real field.

You cannot spend time to align the robot with each individual cube for the fully passive intake to work. Not with heavy defense by opposing alliance.

If you had in mind Amazing Houdini by teams 9605A and 9421 then I must say that it is not fully passive.

Intake rollers actively reorient and intake cubes that robot meets at random angles on the field, before it takes them into its semi-passive cage claw.

In my part of the world to be competitive you must quickly intake any cubes while opponents play heavy defense on you. I have not seen any robots with fully passive intakes that made it into the eliminations.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think either of us meant a fully passive robot. I’d disagree that this fact makes the cage no longer fully passive ( I was referring to these)

Edit: I’d like to add though that with angled attachments I think the need for direct alignment can be, at the very least, minimized. I haven’t seen it on a robot here yet but it has tested with some success for me in the past

1 Like

i havent edited it and as i stated i was not using that design i was just looking at the bars lifting as the cubes came in

no i am wanting to make a traybot if a traybot where the cubes are on a tray and you stack up a bunch then deposit them

@ChrisBegines do not worry about what @enothecool was saying. That user has very poor track record of understanding the question when he writes his opinions.

Please, study carefully robots revealed this season like 97963A, 448X, 1961Z and more from the robot showcase category of the top list:

https://www.vexforum.com/top/all

Also, you may find very informative some of the @Doctortictac topics where many users were helping him to debug mechanical issues with his robot in great detail:

https://www.vexforum.com/u/Doctortictac/activity/topics

I would be very cautious with reliability of passive alignment attachments for intaking the cubes. When you are constantly defended against you may not have enough time to let them work.

Second reason is that when fields are sprayed with fresh antistatic they become sticky and anything that relies on pushing cube along the floor tiles will be not reliable.

Even Amazing Houdini horizontal intake rollers may lose their efficiency if they have to drag cubes over the floor.

Active vertical intakes, also need more time to align before they could reliably pick the cube.

This leaves you with active intakes that are inclined at 30-60 deg angle and start grabbing and lifting the cubes at the same time as they try moving it in horizontal direction.

But if you have run across a video of any other successful intake type, that you will be so kind to share, I will be thrilled to see it.

1 Like