So, I (coach) am leaving my team. I’m trying to do everything I can to help them carry on, and one thing I’d like to leave them is a list of high quality resources that they can refer to in the future.
Here’s my live document - Full dump of everything below
Does anyone have really great resources that you think every team should have? Videos, web sites, the best vex forum posts - anything?
Here’s what I have so far
- Vexforum.com - The ultimate resource for VEX, an active and awesome community composed mostly of vex competitors sharing and discussing Vex robotics. Just be sure you KNOW the manual before you ask a question.
- Vex Forum | Wiki - VEX V5 General Discussion (2019-2021) - Lead by @technik3k, this project is probably the most extensive and useful source on the Vex Forum. It has a TON of valuable links bth in the forum and outside.
- Vex Forum | New Team Guide to VRC (2021) - A guide written by @9MotorGang for other HS students.
Making the Robot
- BLRS Wiki - The Vex Purdue Sigbots maintain this awesome wiki with incredible Vex Resources
- Vex Robotics Youtube Channel
- VEX Knowledge base: V5 – STEM Library - An official library for the deepest and most technical documents available about the V5 system.
- Kepler Electronics Youtube Channel - A youtube channel with some awesome guides about more elaborate and advanced VEX systems commonly seen in Vex.
- Vex Resources - Great link collection created by @Jack_61391Z and shared on the Vex Forum (Compiled 2021) - Has a TON of specific resources divided by category (Build Tips/General Information, Designing an base, Lifts, Intakes/Manipulators, Launchers, Electronics, Cad)
- Carnegie University Curriculum - Free materials for running a robotics course, has great lessons about how to program V5. Coach should set up a free “class” if you want to use this.
- VEX Forum | GOATs in VEX - Chit-Chat / Rumor Mill - A post from 2019 with some videos of VRC “Greatest of All Time” Robots
- VEX Holonomic Drive - Assembly and Programming
- Computer Science | VEX Education - Free online course material about programming the robot, using a virtual robot. Great for beginning programmers over the summer.
- VexCode Text Tutorials by Connor 1814D White (2020)
- VEX V5 Printing to the Brain - Mark Johnson
- V5 Brain Make On-Screen Buttons - Mark Johnson
- VEX Vision Sensor Guide/Slideshow - Hosted on Mr. Smith’s Class Page, source unknown
- “Remembering the Best” VRC CAD Library - A library of CAD models and renders of some of the best VRC robots of all time. Created and shared by Zach_929U
- Building Tips Every Vex Team Should Know - Kepler Electronics (December 2019)
- MAKE V5 Smart Cables! - (2021 Mark Johnson) - A video about how to mut and make custom length V5 smart Cables. This is not recommended for beginner teams, as an improperly made cable may short out a brain/port - a costly mistake.
- Onshape for VEX playlist (Jerry Palardy - 2021)
- Vex Forum | Format of an Engineering Notebook (2012)
- Vex Forum | Example of an award winning notebook?
- How to Start an Award Winning VEX Notebook(2018)
- Vrc Sample Engineering Notebook Team 1575A (2019 example provided by REC)
- A simple, digital notebook template from 8838 (2020)8838 Engineering Notebook Template
- Bare bones, blank Game Analysis Document (first section of notebook)
- EDEN Advanced digital engineering notebooks ($24 per team, 2020)
- What Is VEX Robotics Competition? - FRC 5719 - Pink Titans (Last updated 2017?)
- Volunteer Downloads | REC Foundation - This is where you can find the judging guides and rubrics
For Coaches Starting Teams
Funding & Grants
So teams can find this post in the future, this list has: Resources for new teams, programming resources, building resources, tournament guides, resources for grants, new coach guides